We have a logo!

We have a winning logo! Congratulations to Jordan who designed this brilliant logo!

Logo 1

Sunday 26 July 2009

Oops and Ahh!

Hello!

Just to tell you now, I got my dates mixed up for August’s holiday, I’m actually leaving a week later than I first thought, meaning the Tip of the Month will be up August 1st at some point. I’m not sure when as yet, as my wi-fi card has been playing up today and I’m not sure if it will stay this way!

Also, I have some VERY bad news: The Google Wave highlights video editing seem to have been misplaced… Actually, deleted. Yeah, I had a few problems with Ubuntu in Wubi (root and boot.disk disappeared to be precise) so I did a quick and easy reinstall like I explained in my previous post and video (it’s just below, so you don’t need a link :P). Anyhoo, after the install, I decided to set up my bookmarks and saw this blog… All that time… For nothing. I was almost half way through as well!

Then, I remembered, I luckily copied the *.kdenlive file into the same folder as the actual mp4 (Google IO.mp4) on my Windows partition (/host in Wubi). Phew!

So, now, all I have to do is reinstall the video editing software I used (Kdenlive in this instance) and can carry on with the editing. Excellent!

I think that’s a lesson for all of us here: back up your data. You never know what’s going to happen to it and when. In this particular instance, if I hadn’t backed up, there was no way (I don’t think, I mean, I could have gone down to a root prompt in the recovery Kernel and copied it, but, really, I don’t think that will be the option in many cases) I could have restored or gotten to the file. Think about it, your hard drive (or at least, a partition of it) is inaccessible and contains important file(s). Tough luck there trying to get it back. With Wubi especially, even with a Linux Live CD, you can’t access the Wubi stuff. It can only be accessed within Wubi.

So, that’s it for now,

Yours,

Ratscallion


No comments:

Post a Comment

A brief Introductory Video to RATSCALLION